Science, Language, and Literacy (SLL) 11th Conference For KS2 & KS3
Friday, 29th June 2007 (Registration 10:00-10:30; Conference 10:30-16:30)
Connaught Hall, University of London, 36-45 Tavistock Square, London, WC1
Are you interested in……·
· Science, Language and Literacy?
· Literacy in and through science and scientific language?
· The relationship between learning and language/literacy barrier?
If so, you will find our forthcoming 11th Annual Science, Languages, and Literacies (SLL) Conference for KS2 and KS3 most useful and stimulating.
blen’s interest in Science, Language and Literacy is based on general literacy development and scientific language and literacy during the formative period of KS2 to KS3 (primary to lower secondary) for all pupils. Our forthcoming conference brings together science and literacy teachers, science advisers, literacy advisers and researchers to deliver a programme of up to date policy and practice.
The first conference was opened by Prof. Wynne Harlen.
Issues to be addressed will include:
· Literacy barrier to achievement
· Visual literacy within the context of science
· Enhanced literacy aware/ effective strategies in science lessons
Scheduled contributors (more forthcoming):
· John Booth, Science consultant, Birmingham Literacy and SATs questions-problems & strategies
· Paul Lees, The Learning Trust, Hackney Demo: Literacy enhancing lesson
· Yvonne Caples & Ruth Trapmore, Essex The use of visual tools to promote progression
A specialist exhibition of resources and materials will be mounted for the whole day. All fees are inclusive of handouts and follow up materials as well as refreshments.
The aforementioned issues will be addressed through a series of Presentations, Activities, and Discussions. Please bring resources and materials to share.